Phase 1 Grant Assistance
Together, the New York Life and Cigna Foundations established the Brave of Heart Fund, dedicated to providing healthcare workers and their families with peace of mind. The Fund is designed to provide financial support in the form of charitable relief grants to support the families of healthcare workers who lose their lives to COVID-19.
In addition, Cigna behavioral health advocates will provide emotional support and services to surviving family members.
If you have lost a family member who is a healthcare worker to COVID-19 and have completed the verification step with New York Life, please proceed to login and complete an application for Phase 1 assistance.
Phase 1 assistance from the Brave of Heart Fund is intended to cover funeral/burial, transportation for funeral/burial, rent/mortgage, food, and clothing expenses for surviving family members.
Documentation will be required for Phase 1 assistance and includes:
- Funeral/Burial invoice (showing that the applicant is financially responsible for the expenses)
- Travel requests or receipts – plane ticket, gas/mileage, hotel invoice, etc.
- Rental agreement or mortgage statement
Phase 2 Grant Assistance
Phase 2 assistance from the Brave of Heart Fund is intended to cover more long term expenses such as food, clothing, housing, basic essential utilities, daycare/childcare expenses, educational expenses, counseling, medical expenses for deceased healthcare worker, and transportation
Documentation will be required for Phase 2 assistance and includes:
- Most recent statements/invoices for monthly expenses that you are seeking assistance with
- Most recent filed tax returns/pay stubs
- Medical bills for the deceased healthcare worker/healthcare volunteer
- tuition statements